Collab numero 39, this time with Aran from La Pirata brewing from Suria, Catalunia. La Pirata is one of the most respected breweries in the Spanish scene, well known for been able to brew a big variety of styles, from IPAs to Sours and lovely decadent barrel aged Stouts.
The inspiration for Pastry Sour creation in our brewery has always been popular desserts based on fruit and cocktails. This time, we decided to go a step further and draw inspiration from one of the most popular soft drinks. If you have lived in the 90s, you will certainly remember the moment when Cola Cherry appeared on the market!
We recreated its taste in beer by creating a base of malted barley, wheat and oat flakes enriched with milk sugar – lactose that has been souered with a clean, citrus forward lactobacillus strain and “just enough” ammount of cherries and cola syrup to take you back to the beautiful 90s, when pants were baggy, clothes had a lot of different neon colors and you use to drink cherry cola after skateboarding with your friends on the streets.
Simple, but complex malt bill composed with barley and wheat malts with addition of oat flakes to make the texture more velvety. Milk sugar to balance out the sourness and add a bit of sweetness and velvety texture.
Brewed with enough new wave American hops to complement the tropical flavours, but without asking for attention.
This beer was kettle souered with our house Lactobacilus strain. We let the bacteria work overnight to low they final pH of the beer just before boiling.
- Fruits: a lot of the best quality Polish sour cherries.
- Cola syrup: Natural Cola syrup
- Vanilla: aging with best quality Madagascar vanilla sticks complements the dessert character of this beer, increasing a bit the perception of sweetness and combines well with its fruity character.
- Style: Pastry Fruit Sour
- Extract: 18,0%
- Alcohol: 6,6%
- IBU: 8
- Malts: barley, wheat; oat flakes
- Hops: Columbus, Mandarina Bavaria
- Yeast: Home, clean fermenting ale yeast
- Bacteria: Lactobacillus
- Additives: lactose, Sour cherries, cola syrup, vanilla
- Appearance: Dark red
- Aromas: Cola, sour cherries, cherry pie
- 1 – full
- 2 – medium sour
- 3 – sweet, round
- Serving temperature: 8-12⁰C
- Glass: Sensoric, tulip, snifter
- Dishes: Rump steak / baked goose breast with rosemary, cherries and creamy potatoes
- Cheese: Goat soft cheese
- Dessert: Cherry crumble with ice-creams and sour cola syrup