For our next collab beer we joined our forces with Soma from Girona, Catalunia. If you don’t know them, Soma is the “baby” genius brewery in the Spanish brewing scene, known from their full and aromatic Hazy IPAs and DIPAs.
For now, they only have a small brewery based in the lovely city of Girona, 1 h north from Barcelona (but they are already planning their next expansion). We were lucky to have Ramon and Carla here for a couple of days, drink some beers together and brew this gorgeous & hazy DDH DIPA!
This was the 4th collab that our head brewer – Beinat Gutierrez made with Ramon – there was always intensively hopped DIPAs in whose recipes they tried to find the perfect balance in thickness and body fulness. So when they start to talked about the recipe, things moved quite fast.
A base consist of malted Barley, flakes and malted oats – that’s all. Mashed in a medium intensity step mash way, hopped in the Whirlpool with Strata & Citra varieties and fermented with our house yeast strain that is perfect for hazy beers.
Double dry hopped with a new in our brewery – Strata, Galaxy and Citra hops. You can definetely expect more Strata beers soon, cause we just felt in love with this variety. Get to know its taste in our new DDH DIPA and cheers!
An innovative, hoppy approach to the DIPA style – Double Dry Hopped DIPA is a bit sweeter / more malty than the regular IPA version – focused on intense hoppy aroma, but not necessarily on bitterness. We hopped our new DIPA both in Whirlpool and during aging process so that hops could enchant with hoppy fullness. It is most delightful right after filling into cans, so remember to not wait – drink it fresh!
We wanted to make it as simple as possible and so, we have prepared the light base that creates the perfect background for abundant hopping. For greater turbidity and velvety smoothness, we enriched it with oat malt and flakes.
If you don’t know Strata, remember this name cause you will see it in A LOT of beers next months. This variety was combined with an already classic combo of Citra/Galaxy – total “winning” hoppy experience.
Our DDH DIPA is simply filled with tropical passion fruit, candied orange, pot, orange gummy bears and lemon marmalade.
- Style: DDH DIPA
- Extract: 18,0%
- Alcohol: 7,5%
- IBU: 35
- Malt base: barley malt: pilsner, oat malt, flakes: oat
- Bitter: Columbus (US)
- Whirlpool: Strata, Citra (US)
- Dry-hopping: Strata, Citra (US), Galaxy (AU)
- Yeasts: House Ale Strain
- Appearance: pale yellow, cloudy, topped with short white head
- Aromas: passion fruit, marihuana, orange gummy bears, candied orange, pot, lemon marmalade.
- 1 – half-full
- 2 – fruity
- 3 – juicy, hoppy finish
- Serving temperature: 8-12⁰C
- Glass: Sensoric, tulip, snifter
- Dishes: Pastrami, fried pork chop with herb butter, bao roll with smoked, grilled halloumi and chimichurri
- Cheese: Roquefort, mature Cheddar, Lazur
- Desserts: Tropical tart with creme patissiere and orange peels, Lemon Meringue Pie, creamy old fashioned cheesecake with caramelized tangerine