Together with Galway Bay Brewery, we have prepared something really special – intensely sour and sweet at the same time, refreshing beer with the addition of tropical fruits and lactose! We acidified it with lactic acid bacteria, intensively dry-hopped and finally fermented with the addition of purees from Calamansi and Pink Guava fruits! During aging, we also enriched the aromatic profile with vanilla, which is emphasizing the dessert character of the beer!
During the mashing, we only used light malts: Pilsen and wheat, to which it owes its very light color and sponge-like, cereal taste. For greater haziness and smoothness, we have also added oat flakes. Part of the extract comes from lactose – unfermented milk sugar that gives fullness and light sweetness.
Bitterness is moderate – we emphasized it during the hopping process with Citra and Chinook varieties in the kettle. A small part of the bitterness also comes from fruit – mostly from Pink Guava, which sharpens the perception of bitterness with its peppery-like character. Bitterness here is, however, only an accent that blends with the fruity character of the beer. We have not forgotten about intense dry-hopping, to make the tropical aroma more comprehensive, we used El Dorado and Simcoe varieties for that purpose.
Fruits – in the foreground in this beer you can find the composition of fruits! We used only fruit purees and added them during fermentation to maintain balance and appropriate sweetness. Their selection was not accidental – thanks to the addition of Calamansi * the beer became maximally refreshing and filled with citrus aromas. Pink guava gave some tropical and peppery notes, which in combination has resulted in an unusually fresh and comprehensive aromatic profile of the beer.
* Calamansi is an aromatic citrus fruit with a taste reminiscent of a combination of sour mandarins and Japanese kumquat.
Vanilla – aging with vanilla sticks enhances the dessert character of this beer and combines well with its fruity foreground!
- Style: Pastry Sour Ale
- Extract: 18,0%
- Alcohol: 6,2%
- IBU: 30
- Malts: Pilsen barley malt; wheat; Oatmeal
- Bitter: Chinook (US)
- Aromatic: Citra (US)
- Dry-hopping: El Dorado, Simcoe (US)
- Yeasts: Nottingham
- Additives: Calamansi and Pink Guava puree
- Appearance: orange-pink, dense and cloudy, with medium, creamy foam
- Aromas: mandarin, ripe guava, citrus, vanilla, milky
- 1 – thick, acidic
- 2 – sweet
- 3 – peppery, with a characteristic bitter guava flavor
- Serving temperature: 8-12⁰C
- Glass: tiki tropical glass, tulip, snifter
- Dishes: Sour cream with sauce pepper, Pad thai with tofu
- Cheese: long-ripening goat cheese, Roquefort
- Dessert: panna cotta with mango mousse, coconut pudding with chia, lychee and orange