Crumble – a delicious dessert based on sour fruit and sweet crumble. Together with Wylam brewery we have succeeded in recreating its taste in beer! Here is our sour and sweet IPA with peach and pineapple puree aged with roasted coconut flakes with roasted hazelnuts and dry vanilla. The hop varieties used in dry hopping are Citra, Motueka, and Saphir.
ART+25 Crumble Sour IPA Peach and Pineapple
Sour and sweet IPA with peach and pineapple puree aged with roasted coconut flakes with roasted hazelnuts and dry vanilla.
Together with the Wylam brewer Dave Kerr, we have decided to come up with a new idea: a new variation of the sour IPA. We have drawn inspiration from the popular and easy to make dessert that it’s based on sour fruit and sweet crumble. That’s how Crumble Sour IPA Peach and Pineapple was created as an unusual, sweet-and-sour fruity beer filled with aromatic ingredients.
The beer is very light in colour because we have used only light malts. The grist consists of mostly the Pilsner and wheat malts. To produce hazy and velvety texture, we have added oat flakes. Some of the extract comes from lactose, fermented milk sugar which has given the beer its fullness and slight sweetness.
As the name “IPA” suggest, we have used dry hopping method with the use of Citra, Motueka and Saphir varieties which release citrus and stone-fruit aromas. The beer has moderate bitterness as for this style.
Ingredients make the beer unusual:
Peach and pineapple puree that make about 18% in the form of 100% fruit puree. They are incredible aromatic, sour, and juicy.
Roasted hazel nuts and coconut flakes, vanilla sticks produce the effect of „sweet crumble” in beer. We have roasted hazel nuts and coconut flakes on our own just before adding them to the ageing tank to preserve their aromas.
- Style: Crumble Sour IPA Peach and Pineapple
- Extract: 19%
- Alcohol: 8,0% obj.
- IBU: 50
- Grist: barley: Pilsner, wheat, oat flakes
- Bitter: Columbus (US)
- Aromatic: Citra (US)
- Dry hopping: Citra (US), Motueka (NZ), Saphir (DE)
- Yeast: US-05
- Bacteria: Lactobacillus plantarum
- Ingredients: peach puree, pineapple puree, lactose (milk sugar), vanilla sticks, roasted hazel nuts, roasted coconut flakes
- Look: peach colour, hazy, with moderate white head
- Aromas: peach, pineapple, vanilla, coconut, hazel nuts, tropical fruit
- full, thick
- sweet and fruity
- sour with a hoppy finish
- Serving temperature: 8-12⁰C
- Glass: Sensoric, tulip, snifter
- Dishes: green curry with paneer, chili and mango coated fried chicken wings
- Cheeses: Mascarpone with peach; camembert with dry cranberries
- Dessert: peach and pineapple crumble with hazelnuts, coconut, vanilla, and muscovado sugar