ART+21 Pineapple and Passionfruit Sour Ale
ART+21 Pineapple and Passion fruit Sour Ale is a super sour, strong, light, refreshing and intensely exotic collab brew!
The Sour ale style includes quite a large selection of beers. This time we have decided to brew a beer similar to the sour wheat beer, Berliner Weisse. Ours is a much stronger version both in terms of extract and alcohol. The beer is acidified with lactic acid bacteria added to the brewing kettle. Its sourness is enhanced with pineapple and passion fruit puree.
With the extract of 15.2, quite high as for sour beers, we have saved a bit of sweetness to balance the exceptionally sour flavour produced by lactic bacteria and fruit. Oat and wheat flakes give the beer its smooth texture, haziness and high drinkability.
What defines this style are lactic acid bacteria, which produce the sour feel. Lactobacillus plantarum that can be found in bread starters, kephirs, or yoghurts, produce lactic acid which intensifies the sour flavour and adds to the beer’s refreshing qualities. This particular strain used in the process of acidifying in the boiling kettle adds some ethers that bring to mind apples or citrus fruit.
Exceptionally aromatic but sour fruit: pineapple and passion fruit. Their aromas and flavours create an incredibly tasty and refreshing mix.
- Style: Sour and Fruit Ale
- Extract: 15,2%
- Alcohol: 6,5% obj.
- IBU: 10
- Malts/flakes: Pilsner barley malt, wheat malt, oat and wheat flakes
- Bitter: Magnum (DE)
- Aromatic: Tettnanger (DE)
- Yeast: New England + Danstar Nottingham
- Bacteria: Lactobacillus plantarum
- Look: hazy, straw-like in colour
- Aromas: pineapple, passion fruit, red apple, sour white grapes
- sour, lemon
- refreshing with a bitter finish
- Serving temperature: 6-8°C
- Glass: Sensoric, sniffter
- Dishes: peach and roasted goat cheese salad; seafood pasta; Moules Frites
- Cheeses: maturing goat cheeses
- Desserts: strudel with caramelized sour apples