Berliner Weisse is cloudy, sour, wheat beer with low alcohol contents. The origins of this traditional beer style typical of the Northern German regions, Berlin specifically, go back to the 16th century. Till the end of the 19th century it was the most popular drink in Berlin produced by over 50 various breweries! Today this number has declined to only 2 but craft brewing has made this style popular again.
Very low extract of about 9%; grist made of light pils and wheat malts only, which account for exceptional lightness so typical of this style.
Although hops do not play a central role in this style, we have selected the new-wave German hops anyhow: Comet which has the citric and grassy touch to it, and Huell Melon, a fruity mix with a dominant touch of honeydew. The “late-hopping” method allows to reduce bitterness but retains the flavour.
Lactic acid bacteria so typical of this style account for certain acidity. Lactobacillus lactis, Lactococcus lactis, Lactobacillus plantarum, Lactobacillus delbrueckii subsp. bulgaricus, which can be found in sourdough starters, kefirs and yoghurts, produce lactic acid that intensifies the beer’s acidity and refreshing taste.
The seasonality of the beer and its acid profile has been enhanced with a typically Polish touch, abundance of ripe strawberries, which addend during the final fermentation stage gave the beer’s pleasant taste and aroma.
- Styl: Strawberry Berliner Weisse
- Ekstract: 9,0%
- Alcohol: 3,8%
- IBU: 5
- Malts: pils; wheat
- Aromatic: Comet (DE), Huell Melon(DE)
- Yeast: US-05
- Bakterie: Lactobacillus lactis, Lactococcus lactis, Lactobacillus plantarum, Lactobacillus delbrueckii ssp. bulgaricus
- Appearance: very light; red
- Aroma: Strawberry, lemon, slightly
- sparking, clear, refreshing
- sour; strawberry
- sour, citric
- Serving temperature: 5-8⁰C
- Glass: Tulip, goblet
- Foodpairing: currywurst; pork chops with sauerkraut; Cheeses: buttermilk-based: interior- ripened cheese; Bauer-Hendkase; Harceński, Ołomuniecki – type, Desserts: strawberry strudel; strawberry tart