It’s a highly drinkable beer to savour in any season! It’s the second time we have joined our forces with the Spanish brewery MALTE. This time we have used our creativity and good taste to create, ART.+23 which combines the sour and light style of Berliner Weisse acidified with lactic acid bacteria and a touch of fruity delight: Spanish kiwi puree and Polish cherry juice. We have taken the best from the two countries. The beer is perfectly refreshing thanks to champagne-like saturation combined with a distinct sourish flavour of kiwi and cherry.
ART +23 Kiwi and Cherry Berliner Weisse
Berliner Weisse – a historic style of light and sour beer that has been rediscovered by craft brewers. We have joined forces with the Spanish MALTE to enrich the style’s flavour with aromas of Spanish kiwi and Polish cherry juice. It’s a super sour and refreshing mix.
Berliner Weisse, a hazy, sour, wheat beer with low alcohol contents, has its roots in the northern regions of Germany, specifically Berlin where it has been brewed since the 16 th century. Until the end of the 19th century, it was the most popular alcoholic drink in Berlin. Produced by over 50 different breweries. Over the centuries the number has diminished to merely two in Berlin and several breweries throughout Germany. Today, the style has been rediscovered thanks to craft brewings.
A very low extract of 9% made of light Pilsner malt and wheat flakes allows for maximum lightness, so typical for this style.
Hopping plays a supporting part in this style. We have used the noble Hersbrucker hops with a subtle aromatic profile thanks to which we have achieved a very low, almost imperceptible, bitterness.
Lactic acid bacteria are a trademark of this style. They produce the distinct sour flavours in this beer. Lactobacillus plantarum bacteria found in, among others, bread starters, kefirs, or yoghurts, produce lactic acid which, in turn, intensifies the sour flavour and refreshing quality of the beer. This particular bacteria strain added to the kettle during the acidifying process releases some fruit esters that bring to mind red apples and citrus fruit.
Despite the cold winter months, we are offering a refreshing fruity flavour of aromatic kiwi puree and 100% natural pressed cherry juice (NFC). It’s a real smash! Juicy and ripe fruit have produced a delightful aroma and enhanced the sour side of the beer. It’s a beer to savour!
- Style: Fruit Berliner Weisse
- Extract: 9,0%
- Alcohol: 3,6% obj.
- IBU: 5
- Malts/ flakes: Pilsner barley, wheat flakes
- Bitter: Hersbrucker (DE)
- Aromatic: Hersbrucker (DE)
- Yeasts: US-05
- Bacteria: Lactobacillus plantarum
- Extra ingredients: kiwi puree, pressed cherry juice (NFC)
- Look: cloudy, pink
- Aromas: kiwi, cherry, milk yoghurt, lemon, gooseberry
- extremely sour, cherry, lemon
- refreshing with a slight kiwi overtones
- Serving temperature: 6-8⁰C
- Glass: Sensoric, tulip, snifter
- dishes: pork sausages with cherries and bread with horseradish butter; Frittata with steamed leaks, goat cheese, shallots and mint; Belgian fries with spicy kiwi salsa;
- cheeses: sour milk cheese – red interior-ripened cheese, Harceński-type, Galician cheeses: Tetilla, Rulo de Cabra;
- desserts: yoghurt kiwi cake coated with orange syrup; apples deep fried in pancake dough served with cherry jam.